It’s normal to have not-so-good days, but when you’re feeling down, there are a few simple things that help improve your mood and make you feel happier. We have listed some small actions that can make you feel better and instantly brighten your day:
1. Take a shower. A shower or bath can be synonymous with self-care, improving your mood and making you feel invigorated both physically and mentally.
2. Eat a healthy meal. Fruits, vegetables and other healthy foods can help your mind and body.
3. Write in a journal. Writing down your thoughts and feelings can improve your mood, helping you to process your emotions.
4. Take a nap. Napping is great for improving mood, energy and productivity, while reducing anxiety and physical and mental tension.
5. Buy a plant. Having a plant at home provides something beautiful to see while purifying the air, in addition to the benefits of improving mood.
6. Go outside. Being in nature has a positive effect on your mental health. Exposure to natural light stimulates the body’s production of vitamin D and serotonin, which play a role in improving your mood, as well as decreasing anxiety.
7. Pet an animal. Caressing and playing with animals reduces stress-related hormones within minutes, in addition to increasing levels of serotonin and dopamine.
8. Meditate. Meditation restructures your brain and trains you to focus, feel more compassion, deal with stress and more.
9. Be grateful. People who regularly express their gratitude for the good things in their lives are happier, less stressed, and more positive.
10. Laugh. Laughing increases the amount of wellness endorphins released by the brain decreases your stress response, and can help decrease your anxiety and make you feel happier.